Tunes and SongsHear the music of the Rattlers! These MP3 files range from 3-5 MB in size, so youll want a fast connection for this.
1. Sleeping Lulu. A southern fiddle tune from Georgia string band the Skillet Lickers, in the key of C.
2. Way Out There. A cowboy song from Jim complete with yodeling!
3. Elziks Farewell. A West Virginia fiddle tune that reflects the heritage of the Scots-Irish settlers who settled the Appalachian region.
4. Julie Ann Johnson/Dubuque. Two dance tunes that we recorded with fiddle, banjo, and mandolin, for a real old-time sound.
5. Granny on the Treadmill. Jim wrote this aerobic fiddle tune. Listen for Granny wheezing as she nears the end of her workout.
Rattlesnake Creek makes high-energy traditional music that flows from their instruments like moonshine from a mountain still: one taste of it, and youll feel like dancing!
The music of The Rattlers centers around the fiery fiddling of James Wimmer, from Santa Barbara, California. A respected violin maker, Wimmer played old-time fiddle professionally in Europe from 1971 to 1979. He has an extensive repertoire of unusual fiddle tunes and old songs gleaned from out-of-print vinyl and oral sources.
Tom Wolverton has been banging away on clawhammer banjo for over 30 years. Tom also plays old-time guitar and mandolin, as well as the occasional mechanical snake skinner.
Stuart Mason is a native of West Virginia, where he learned traditional music from local mountain musicians. He plays guitar in the band, and does a bit of flatfoot buck dancing when the spirit moves him. More about Stuart here.
The members of Rattlesnake Creek have been members of other traditionally based bands, now and in the past. These include the Gap Tooth Mountain Ramblers, the Growling Old Geezers, String Fever, and many others over the years.
With a combined history of over 80 years of experience in playing old-time and mountain music, the Rattlesnake Creek String Band brings a bona fide American tradition to the modern stage. And they have a ton of fun doing it!
Gigs and Festivals
Contact UsStuart Mason
351 South Court
Los Osos, CA 93402